Saturday 10 September 2011

'Tyler The Creator - She (feat. Frank Ocean)' Music Video Analysis


I chose to analyse this video as I felt it was a good example of an 'amplification', as well as enjoying the song. I encountered the video after being subscribed to the YouTube channel of the band, which created a sense of excitement for me before I even watched it. This possibly influenced my opinion of the video more than if I had just randomly viewed it, meaning I probably enjoyed it more than others. Conventions of the genre (Hip-Hop) I recognize are evident from the beginning. The video opens with a signpost from an American town, with Hip-Hop being predominantly associated with the USA. This is followed by a mid-shot of 3 black Males 'hustling' on the street. This is another convention of the genre, due to connotations of money and the fact that the Hip-Hop industry is mainly made up of black males. A close up shot then shows one of the mens socks patterned with cannabis leaves - something again used in relation to the genre. For example, it can be found in many Hip-Hop videos with links to Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa.                                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment