Thursday 15 September 2011

Market Research

Before creating my video, I conducted market research in order to identify the market to which I am aiming to appeal to. I found that the genre I am using is not the most mainstream, i.e generally not reaching no.1 in the charts or being widely popular such as artists like Rihanna. However, I found that hip-hop does often make the top 10 - with artists like Drake, Professor Green and Bad Meets Evil proving popular. I also found when looking at festival line-ups that hip-hop acts are again not the most popular, with the occasional performance from artists such as OFWGKTA and Eminem. I found that artists similar to mine usually appeal to smaller venues such as o2 academies, where specific audiences of fans attend.



In terms of music videos, they don't tend to be huge projects costing mega money as with pop music e.g Michael Jackson - Thriller. Instead they tend to be simpler videos, with often expensive items to reflect the artist and what they are trying to show, such as designer clothes, jewellery and cars. As some of this will not be achievable (expensive cars) I shall not try and replicate this and instead focus on the fact my artist is young but talented with the focus more on fun. Example of a low budget video of the same style/genre:

No comments:

Post a Comment