Tuesday 15 November 2011

Final Digipak & Magazine Advert

I had many different ideas for what I wanted to do with my digipak after receiving the feedback from my draft. I decided it would be best to start a completely different version, keeping only a few elements the same. At first I wasn't keen on the black and white colour palette, so experimented with different styles - taking inspiration from James Blake and Madvillain's artwork styles. However, I didn't feel this was effective enough. I then looked at older styles, such as Beastie Boys and found that many of their photographs had elements similar to mine. I decided to take inspiration from them, and use a black and white palette again. I used a small and simple font, after receiving criticism for the font originally used on my draft, and tried to keep continuity throughout by using this all the way through the digipak. I feel the photographs in this version are also a lot more cohesive, and link together better.


For my magazine advert I used a very simple layout, with a single picture blending into the background and a small amount of text. I found after looking at various magazine adverts that the simple ones tend to be more effective. I also restrained from using mutiple ratings to appeal to the audience - instead, sticking to one rating by NME. The song that I am using comes from the Mac Miller album 'K.I.D.S' - which contains various references throughout to the 1995 film Kids by Larry Clark. I therefore took inspiration from that to try and incorporate into my design, even though it is a film and not music. I used the magazine advert for the film as inspiration, combined with ideas from the DVD cover.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment